FROM THE EXPERTS
Tonal colours will be the way of the season, according to Dulux colour and communications manager Andrea Lucena-Orr.
“The bold colour contrasts of previous years have made way for subtle layering of natural hues. Depth is added through texture and materiality.”
The Grounded palette – one of four trend palettes identified in the 2020 Dulux Colour Forecast ‘Essence’ – combines gentle, earthy neutrals and warm whites with accents of soft coral and lavender to create a cosy, laid-back feel. And as the weather cools, it’s a great palette to add warmth and character to our homes.
“The Grounded palette is one that homeowners will love – it’s easy to work with and has a relaxed yet sophisticated feel,” Ms Lucena-Orr adds.
“Warm, biscuity tones derived from nature feel calm and comforting, and adding in touches of muted coral, mauve and gold gives the look a contemporary edge.
Andrea’s autumn styling tips…
- Go tonal: For larger expanses such as walls and sofas, layer different shades of one key colour.
- Keep it simple: Don’t overfill the space – include only those pieces you need and love.
- Create a focal point: Every room should have one hero piece to draw the eye, whether it’s a stunning side chair or a beautiful artwork.
- Add texture: Seek out must-touch upholstery fabrics, such as rich weaves and bouclé’s to add textural interest.
- Embrace curves: A round ottoman, an arched mirror or a curvy sofa are on-trend and will break up the hard lines in a room.
You’ll fall in love with the Snuggle Petite Chair from Plush. A modern take on the love seat, it’s pictured here as a swivel configuration in Astral Platinum fabric. Visit plush.com.au.
This belly basket with tassels is from Domayne. Visit Maroochydore Homemaker Centre.
The Mikaela cushion, from Kas, is a beautiful decorative accent for your home. It features rows of tactile ribbing accentuated by dyed and bound yarns.
Visit kasaustralia.com.au for local stockists.
The Mercer + Reid Spring Stems Mini Eucalyptus Vine Green and the Spring Stems Peony Bunch White are both available from Adairs.
Use neutral vases to introduce a little greenery into your home. We like the Musgrave Decorative vase from Pillow Talk.